Frequently Asked Questions
- Q: What are the benefits of a master’s degree?
- A: There are many benefits to earning a master’s degree such as the possibility of career advancement opportunities, increasing your earning potential, and increasing your competitiveness in the job market. A master’s degree from OU may also better qualify you for management and leadership positions. In fact, some employers require a master’s degree for management-level positions. OU is a top-tier public institution, and our programs are taught by world-class faculty and professors of practice who prepare students for future success.
- Q: What are the benefits/advantages of taking online classes?
- A: Online courses offer convenience and flexibility for you to learn on your own time. Taught by the same world-class faculty and industry leaders, you’ll receive the same degree as a student who attends classes on campus. The online format promotes engaged learning and facilitates connection with fellow students from all over the world providing a rich educational environment and networking opportunities. Like an on-campus degree, the University of Oklahoma’s online programs are accredited and recognized by employers.
- Q: What kind of student support do you offer?
- A: Online students receive the same access to resources that on-campus students do. Many of our students have been out of school for a few years or have never experienced online learning; this is why we have a student success team available throughout the program. Our Student Success team provides training on technology and tips to prepare you to be a successful online student. We want students to focus on academics, so we enroll you in all your courses and provide assistance with any administrative items you might need throughout the program.
- Q: What is OU’s mission?
- A: OU is a top-tier public institution offering high-quality, affordable, professional graduate programs that are committed to maintaining academic excellence. Our mission is to provide the best possible educational experience for our students through excellence in teaching, research and creative activity, and service to state and society.
- Q: Is OU accredited?
- A: Yes, OU is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission. The Higher Learning Commission is one of six regional accrediting agencies in the United States. You can find more information regarding OU’s accreditation here.
- Q: I may be eligible for VA benefits. Who do I contact for this information?
- Q: How much does this degree cost?
- A: Your investment for the M.S. in Finance program is $985 per credit hour. You can find more information on cost and ROI here.
- Q: How do I pay for my degree?
- A: The OU team is prepared to help you consider funding the investment personally or involving your company for tuition reimbursement. The program is also eligible for Federal Financial Aid. Please contact the OU Online Financial Aid at (405) 325-2929 or at email@example.com if you are interested in additional details.
- Q: What jobs do people find after graduation?
- A: An M.S. in Finance prepares graduates for roles in corporate settings at the mid and top-level executive levels. Graduates may find jobs as a Financial Manager, Financial Advisor, Financial Analyst, Actuary, Financial Director, Controller, Portfolio Manager, Stockbroker, VP of Finance, or CFO, among others.
- Q: I want to change careers. Is this program right for me?
A: The MSF program has been designed for students ranging in experience. Whether applicants have experience working in finance or just decided that this career field may be a good fit for them, we work with students at all levels. While some prior experience in finance is preferred, it is not required.
We suggest filling out the request form and one of our enrollment coaches will be in touch to discuss the program and help you determine if it is a good fit for you and your goals.
- Q: Is the degree 100% online?
- A: Yes, the 100% online curriculum offers convenience and flexibility for students working full-time.
- Q: Do online classes meet at certain times?
- A: The MSF program is a blend of asynchronous and synchronous coursework. The curriculum includes live lectures that meet in the evening via Zoom, typically around 7 PM CST.
- Q: Are instructors trained to teach online?
- A: Yes! Plus, Price College finance faculty are leaders in their field, routinely sought after to speak at major global conferences and consult for government agencies and businesses.
- Q: How long will the degree/program take to complete?
- A: The online Master of Science in Finance is a 32-credit hour program designed to be completed in as few as 16 months.
- Q: What are the required prerequisites for this program?
A: Admission to the online M.S. in Finance is selective and requires evidence of strong quantitative abilities. Because the program is designed to provide additional expertise in finance for professionals at all stages of their careers, professional work experience is not required for admission.
Applicants are asked to take the GMAT/GRE exam unless they are eligible for the requirement to be waived based upon prior scholastic performance.
International applicants must receive a TOEFL score of 600 or higher on the paper-based test (250 on the computer, 100 on the internet-based test) sent directly from the Educational Testing Service to Institution Code: 6879.
- Q: Can I transfer credits?
- A: Transfer credits are up to the discretion of the admissions committee.
- Q: What are the admission requirements?
A: Admission to the online M.S. in Finance is selective and requires evidence of strong quantitative abilities. Because the program is designed to provide additional expertise in finance to professionals at all stages of their careers, professional work experience is not required for admission.
- BS or BA from an accredited institution
- Completed online application
- GRE/GMAT Score
- Some applicants may be eligible for this requirement to be waived based upon prior scholastic performance.
- Two letters of recommendation
- Personal Statement
- International Applicants: Must submit a TOEFL score directly receive a TOEFL score of 600 or higher on the paper-based test (250 on the computer, 100 on the internet-based test).
More information can be found on our Admissions Requirements page.
- Q: Once I’ve applied, what happens next?
- A: Once the application is filled out and all documents have been submitted, the Price College of Business uses a rolling admissions process to evaluate each candidate. Prospective students should expect to be contacted within two business days of their finalized application regarding the next steps. After that, the application will be presented to the Admissions Committee, and students should expect to hear back within two weeks on their acceptance to the MSF Program.
- Q: When does the next class start?
- A: The MSF program has two starts per year, Spring and Fall.